121. A question begging an answer centers on whether violence is more directly related to the innate characteristic of human being , or whether it is simply a manifestation of the ills of society . Determining the answer will be far from an easy proposition , but is nonetheless one that deserves careful and deliberate consideration .
122. From the standpoint of success , a good work ethic is no less important than an education . Success does , in fact ,depend on the total integration of both aspects .
123. The growing trend for wives to work outside the home even when their husbands are present and employed is in part a sharing of the financial burden with the husband , and in part a reflection of the need these women feel to have a measurable sense of personal worth .
124. Just as honor is a prerequisite for respectability , so is unblemished character a barometer of integrity .
125. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the same is true for both the appreciation of art and music .
126. The direct correlation between self-esteem and success also applies to one's ability to achieve .
127. Improving the plight of teachers is indeed a priority item . However , improving the overall education system is likewise no less important .
128. China and United States share many things in common . Firstly , both are major world powers . Secondly , the two nations offer mutually beneficial factors for development—China with its vast potential market and labor force , and the U.S. with its advanced technology and management expertise .
129. The shaky truce in the Middle East bears little resemblance to the realization of ultimate peace .
130. Idleness spawns discontent , whereas overwork leads to mental and physical exhaustion .
131. Large and small enterprises differ in that the former usually involves conglomerates and the latter private individuals .
132. Both automobiles and bicycles offer a convenient means of public conveyance , with one of the marked differences between the two centered on pollution caused by the former .
133. Alcohol and tobacco are both highly addictive substances . However , unlike tobacco , which is known to cause cancer , studies indicate that alcohol does offer some health benefits when consumed in moderation .
134. One man's treasure is another man's junk .
135. AIDS is no longer one of the Top 10 American killers , but the same cannot be said for many countries .
136. Individualism was unheard of a short 30-odd years ago during the tumultuous Cultural Revolution . Things have changed today , however ,with color returning to the streets of Chinese streets , people gaining a greater degree of self-determination and reform yielding monumental changes in traditional practices .
137. Social inequities of the past are rapidly giving way to expanded social consciousness .
138. Many claim that the world's highly developed countries bear sole responsibility for the plight of less-developed nations . I seriously doubt their contentions will bear the brunt of close scrutiny .
139. Although media reports expound on the volume of scientific and technological achievements , recent surveys indicate that the rapidity of transforming same into productive forces leaves much to be desired .
140. The popular belief in the invincibility of man is constantly rebuked by revaluations of man's fallibility .