Meditation in Indonesian Business
It looked like a typical business meeting. Six men, neatly dressed in white shirts and ties filed into the boardroom of a small Jakarta company and sat down at a long table. But instead of consulting files or hearing reports, they closed their eyes and began to meditate, consulting the spirits of ancient Javanese kings. Mysticism touches almost every aspect of life in Indonesia and business is no exception. One of the meditators said his weekly meditation sessions are aimed mainly at bringing the peace of mind that makes for good decision-making. But the insight gained from mystic communication with spirits of wise kings has also helped boost the profits of his five companies.
Mysticism and profits have come together since the 13th century introduction of Islam to Indonesia by Indian Moslem merchants. Those devout traders, called 'Wali Ullah' or 'those close to God, ' energetically spread both trade and religion by adapting their appeals to the native mysticism of Java. Legends attribute magic power of foreknowledge to the Wali Ullah. These powers were believed to be gained through meditation and fasting.
Businessman Hadisiko said his group fasts and meditates all night every Thursday to become closer to God and to contact the spirits of the great men of the past. 'If we want to employ someone at the managerial level, we meditate together and often the message comes that this man can't hole onto money or he is untrustworthy. Or maybe the spirits will tell us he should be hired.' Hadiziko hastened to add that his companies also hold modern personnel management systems and that formal qualifications are essential for a candidate even to be considered. Perspective investments also are considered through mystic meditation. 'With the mind relaxed and open, it is easier to be objective in judging the risk of a new venture. Meditation and contact with the wisdom of the old leaders sharpens your own insight and intuition. Then you have to apply that intuition to the information you have and work hard to be successful. ' Mystic meditation helped reverse a business slide his companies experienced in the mid-1980. Operating with normal business procedures, he lost more than $ 3 millions in that year alone. Meditation brought back his peace of mind. Putting the right persons in the right jobs and gaining confidence in his business decisions were the keys to a turning around that has brought expansion and profitability. The mysticism in Handspike's boardroom is part of a growing movement in Indonesia called Kebatinan – the 'search for the inner self.'
One of his managers, Yusuf Soemado, who studied business administration at Harvard University, compared the idea of mystic management to western system of positive thinking. 'Willpower and subconscious mind are recognized as important factors in business. Such approaches as psycho-cybernetics, Carnegie's think and growth rates, or the power of positive thinking are western attempts to tap the same higher intelligence that we contact through meditation,' he said.
1. What is the most important factor in their doing business?
2. Whom do they consult?
[A] The spirits of ancient Javanese kings.
[B] Wali Ullah.
[C] Old Kings.
3. Why did Hadisike hasten to add 'his companies also hold modern personnel management systems…'?
[A] He thought Mysticism was not so good as expected.
[B] To show they too focused on qualifications.
[C] To show they hired qualified persons.
[D] To show the possibility of combination of the scientific management with religion.
4. According to the passage, the function of the meditation is
[A] to gain profit from the god.
[B] to gain peace of mind to make decision.
[C] to gain foreknowledge.
[D] to gain objective conclusion.
5. What does 'operating with normal business procedures' refer to?
[A] Adopting the western way of doing business.
[B] Ordinary way of doing business without meditation and fasting.
[C] Contact with God.
[D] Putting right persons in the right jobs.
1. file into 鱼贯而入，排队进去
2. Jakarta 雅加达
3. meditate 沉思，冥想，反省
4. Java 爪哇
5. Javanese 爪哇的
6. mysticism 神秘主义
7. boost 促进，增加，提高
8. devout 虔诚的，热诚的
9. appeal （to） 向……呼吁，求助于，魅力
10. legend 传说，神话
11. fasting 禁食，斋戒
12. hold onto 抓紧，保住
13. personnel management system 人事管理制度
14. perspective investment 远景投资
15. venture （商业）投机，风险
16. sharpen 使……敏锐/尖锐，磨尖
17. business slide 买卖/企业滑坡，下滑
18. turn around （生意）好转，转变
19. subconscious 下意识的，潜意识的
20. cybernetics 控制论
21. Carnegie 卡耐基
22. tap 开拓，选择
1. Mysticism touches almost every aspect of life in Indonesia and business is no exception.
2. Those devout traders, called 'Wali Ullah' or 'those close to God, ' energetically spread both trade and religion by adapting their appeals to the native mysticism of Java.
3. Putting the right persons in the right jobs and gaining confidence in his business decisions were the keys to a turning around that has brought expansion and profitability.
4. Search for the inner self.
5. Such approaches as psycho-cybernetics, Carnegie's think and growth rates, or the power of positive thinking are western attempts to tap the same higher intelligence that we contact through meditation.
1. C 沉思。这在第一断已有说明。
A. 神秘主义。是个总的概念，笼罩生活各方面。而不是具体的做法和重要因素。 B. 宗教。 D. 投资。
2. A 爪哇古代帝王之精灵。答案在第一段。
B. Wali Ullah是指印度穆斯林商人。这些虔诚的商人叫做Wali Ullah或者成为接近主的人。传说神话也把先知的力量归功于Wali Ullah.C. 老帝王。D. 卡耐基，1835-1919是生于苏格兰的美国钢铁工业家和慈善家。他有一套管理企业的办法，称为卡耐基思想（管理法）。
3. B 他们也重视资历、才能。这在第三段中第二行起，商人 Hadisiko讲话清楚说明“如果我们要雇佣管理人员，我们就一起沉思，常常会有这种信息来临：这个人不能管理钱财或者他不可靠。也可能神灵告诉我们应当雇佣他。接着他匆忙补充说他的公司也采用现代人事管理系统，即要考虑雇佣的人员最根本的条件仍是正式资历”。
A. 他认为神秘主义不像想象中那么好。C. 表明他们雇佣人才。上下文说明，他所以补充是说明他们也重视资格。D. 表明科学管理和宗教结合的可能性。Hadisike语中没有这种意思。但不能说他们雇佣人才不管宗教。
4. B 得到冷静头脑来决策。这在第三段后半部分讲到。“远景的投资也是通过神秘的沉思加以考虑。有着放松和开放的头脑，易于客观地判断新投资的风险。沉思和过去领袖的接触会是你的洞察力和感官变得敏锐。”第一段第五行“其中一位沉思者说每星期的沉思会主要目标是带来一个平静的头脑，作出好决策。”
A. 从上帝那里得到利润。 C. 取得先知。不对，先知的能力归于Wali Ullah.D. 得到客观的结论。文内只提到，头脑放松容易客观地判断投资风险与否，并不是客观的结论。
5. B 没有沉思和斋戒的常规作生意。见第三段中，神秘的沉思帮助扭转公司生意滑坡而正常买卖步骤，这一年就损失了300万美元。这两句对比的话说明B项内容。
A. 采用西方买卖方式（交易方式）。文内没有点明正常就是西方方式。C. 和上帝接触。D. 知人善任。www.59wj.com 如果觉得《大学英语四级阅读题文章精读(15)》阅读,yyslj不错，可以推荐给好友哦。