41. His thesis works relatively well when applied to discrimination against Blacks in the United States，but his definition of racial prejudice as " racially-based negative prejudgments against a group generally accepted as a race in any given region of ethnic competition，" can be interpreted as also including hostility toward such ethnic groups as the Chinese in California and the Jews in medieval Europe.
42. Gutman argues convincingly that the stability of the Black family encouraged the transmission of and so was crucial in sustaining - the Black heritage of folklore，music，and religious expression from one generation to another，a heritage that slaves were continually fashioning out of their African and American experiences.
43. Even the folk knowledge in social systems on which ordinary life is based in earning，spending，organizing， marrying，taking part in political activities，fighting and so on ，is not very dissimilar from the more sophisticated images of the social system derived from the social sciences，even though it is built upon the very imperfect samples of personal experience.
44. There are several steps that can be taken，of which the chief one is to demand of all the organizations that exist with the declared objectives of safeguarding the interests of animals that they should declare clearly where they stand on violence towards people.
45. It was possible to demonstrate by other methods refined structural differences among neuron types， however，proof was lacking that the quality of the impulse or its conduction was influenced by these differences， which seemed instead to influence the developmental patterning of the neural circuits.
46. According to this theory，it is not the quality of the sensory nerve impulses that determines the diverse conscious sensations they produce，but rather the different areas of the brain into which they discharge ，and there is some evidence for this view.
47. The result of attrition is that，where the areas of the whole leaves follow a normal distribution，a bimodal distribution is produced，one peak composed mainly of fragmented pieces，the other of the larger remains.
48. The Bible does not tell us how the Roman census takers made out，and as regards our more immediate concern，the reliability of present day economic forecasting，there are considerable difference of opinion.
49. A survey conducted in Britain confirmed that an abnormally high percentage of patients suffering from arthritis of the spine who had been treated with X rays contracted cancer.
50. Yet across the gulf of space，minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish， intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic，regarded this earth with envious eyes，and slowly and surely drew their plans against us.
51. Even the doctoral degree，long recognized as a required " union card" in the academic world，has come under severe criticism as the pursuit of learning for its own sake and the accumulation of knowledge without immediate application to a professor‘s classroom duties.
52. While a selection of necessary details is involved in both，the officer must remain neutral and clearly try to present a picture of the facts，while the artist usually begins with a preconceived message or attitude which is then transmitted through the use of carefully selected details of action described in words intended to provoke associations and emotional reactions in the reader.
53. Articles in the popular press even criticize the Gross National Production （GNP）because it is not such a complete index of welfare，ignoring，on the one hand，that it was never intended to be，and suggesting，on the other， that with appropriate changes it could be converted into one.
54. Other experiments revealed slight variations in the size，number，arrangement，and interconnection of the nerve cells，but as far as psychoneuaral correlations were concerned，the obvious similarities of these sensory fields to each other seemed much more remarkable than any of the minute differences.
55. The Chinese have distributed publications to farmers and other rural residents instructing them in what to watch for their animals so that every household can join in helping to predict earthquakes.
56. Supporters of the Star Wars defense system hope that this would not only protect a nation against an actual nuclear attack，but would be enough of a threat to keep a nuclear war from ever happening.
57. Neither would it prevent cruise missiles or bombers，whose flights are within the Earth‘s atmosphere，from hitting their targets.
58. Civil rights activists have long argued that one of the principal reasons why Blacks，Hispanics，and other minority groups have difficulty establishing themselves in business is that they lack access to the sizable orders and subcontracts that are generated by large companies.
59. During the nineteenth century，she argues，the concept of the "useful" child who contributed to the family economy gave way gradually to the present day notion of the "useless" child who，though producing no income for， and indeed extremely costly to its parents，is yet considered emotionally " priceless".
60. Well established among segments of the middle and upper classes by the mid-1800‘s，this new view of childhood spread throughout society in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries as reformers introduced child labor regulations and compulsory education laws predicted in part on the assumption that a child‘s emotional value made child labor taboo.如果觉得《成考专升本英语阅读难点关键句三》专升本英语复习指导,chengrengg不错，可以推荐给好友哦。