According to government statistics,men of all social calsses in Britain visit pubs quite often,_1__ the kind of pub they go to may be different and their reasons for going there __2_,too.At present,they often take their wives or girlfriends,which _3__ to be the case.
The fact is that the Typical English pub is changing,not only __4_ the licensing laws not being so strict as they __5_,but also because publicans are trying to _6__ away with the old Victorian _7__ of the pub and _8__ provide couples with an atmosphere where they can both feel happy.Pubs used not to open __9_ at certain time.The result was that they were usually _10__ with men who seemed to be drinking as much as possible in the time_11__.But the kind of pub is quickly becoming a thing of the past.
Curiously enough,the old British licensing laws,which foreigners found so objectionable and absurd ,were_12___introduced as a_13___measure to stop workers drinking in the World War I.__14___,the strong puritanical _15__in Parliament took_16__of the law and_17__it.
Opening hours are _18__ limited to eight hours a day,but publicans can now choose which hours _19__ them best.And nowadays you can even get a cup of coffee if you prefer __20_ beer.But in spite of this the Puritans would never dream of admitting that a pub could become a repeatable place.
1) A and B though C when D as
2) A disagree B diverge C vary D deviate
3) A used not B not used C used D is used
4) A because B because of C as D in that
5) A were B are C used D had been
6) A take B do C keep D go
7) A sight B image C appearance D perception
8) A then B instead C further D still
9) A except B except for C only D only for
10) A covered B crowed C full D plenty
11) A available B proper C probable D accessible
12) A ordinarily B generally C originally D formely
13) A perpetual B temporary C uniform D temperate
14) A Nevertheless B However C Afterward D Furthermore
15) A factor B element C component D atom
16) A advantage B profit C use D charge
17) A retained B contained C maintained D protected
18) A even B just C but D still
19) A suit B match C meet D agree
20) A against B for C with D to