1982 was the year of information technology in Great Britain. But what exactly is infotech? 85% of the people __1___ recently had not a clue what it means, __2___53% of those polled said they thought it sounded pretty important.They were __3___.It is.So what is it? Well, put simply,it is the "marry-up"of products__4___several key industries:computers, telephone, televisions, satellites.
It means __5___ microelectronics, telecommunication networks fibre optics__6___produce,store,obtain and send information by way of words,numbers,pictures and sound__7___and efficiency than ever before.
The __8__ infotech is having and is going to have on our lives and work is tremendous.It is already linking the skills of the space industry with __9___ of cable television,so programmes can be beamed directly into our homes ___10__ all over the world. Armies of "steel collar"workers,the robots,will soon be working in factories doing the boring,complex and __11___jobs which are at present still done by man. In some areas __12___the car industry this has already started. television will also be used to enable customers __13___from the comfort of their homes by simply ordering___14__ the TV screen, payment being made by direct debit of their credit cards.The automatic booking of tickets will also be done through the television__15___ .Cable television __16___in many countries now gives a choice of ___17__ channels will soon be used to___18___ our homes by operating burglar and fire alarms ___19___to police and fire stations.Computers will run our homes,controling the heating,air-conditioned and cooking systems ___20___ robot will cope with the housework.the friendly postman will be a thing of the past as the post service and letters disappear with the electronic mail received via viewdata screens.
1) A polling B being polled C polled D having been polled
2) A so B although C however D but
3) A right B wrong C mad D crazy
4) A from B in C to D for
5) A to use B to be used C being used D using
6) A to help B to helping C to be helped D to being helped
7) A very quickly B more quickly C quicklier D most quickly
8) A force B affect C impact D control
9) A those B that C which D the one
10) A from B in C across D thoughtout
11) A interesting B dull C unpleasant D happy
12) A for example B for instance C like D such as
13) A shop B to shop C shopping D to shopping
14) A on B via C within D by
15) A screen B machine C set D show
16) A where B in which C which D it
17) A a dozen Bdozen C dozen of D dozens of
18) A protect B clean C run D manage
19) A related B associated C linked D joined
20) A while B because C since D for