I．重写句子（20 points, 2 points each）
Revise the following sentences according to the requirement.
Example: The history of English words is the history of our civilization in many ways. (periodic sentence)
In many ways, the history of English words is the history of our civilization.
1. One cannot succeed in his study if he is too lazy. (periodic sentence)
2. Susan ate the fish. Susan began to feel sick. (complex sentence)
3. Patiently and skillfully Peter was repairing my car. (loose sentence)
4.Lisa’s hair was long. Lisa’s hair nearly touched the floor. (simple sentence)
5.I am going home. I intend to stay there. (compound sentence)
6. There are so many cars on the street. It is impossible to arrive in time for the meeting.(complex sentence)
7.We warned them that their plan wouldn’t work. They would not listen to us. (compound sentence)
8. John bought a coat. He tried it on. He found a hole in one sleeve. (parallel structure)
9. The power line stopped. Jack was listening to the stereo. Linda was reading in bed. (compound-
10. The old lady takes courses in painting and music instead of looking after her grandkids. (periodic sentence)www.59wj.com
II. 改写病句（15 points, 3 points each）
Correct the errors in the following sentences.
Example: After seeing an offensive mouthwash ad on television. I resolved never to buy that brand again.
After seeing an offensive mouthwash ad on television, I resolved never to buy that brand again.
11. To join the club, a form should be filled in first.
12. Martine is friendly, clever and has a lot of humor.
13. I watched the children singing and laughing with great interest.
14. Some of the students working in Professor Smith’s laboratory last semester.
15. He is talking excitedly to the children. As if he knew everything in the world.
III. 标出主题句（15 points, 5 points each）
16. Choose the best topic sentence from the group below.
A. Skydivers(跳伞运动员) have found a way to fly without a machine.
B. The fall is so smooth that skydivers don’t feel like they’re moving at all.
C. Skydivers jump from an airplane and fall at the rate of 120 miles an hour.
D. For many years people have wished they could fly through the air like birds.
17．Read the following paragraph and underline the topic sentence.
Wilma was very sick when she was four. She could not move her left leg. Her mother rubbed her leg for a long time every night. When Wilma was six she would hop a little. Wilma worked hard to learn to walk and run. When she went to high school she ran on the girls’ track team and won. Then she ran track in college. Wilma was so good that she went to the Olympics and won two gold medals. The little girl who could not walk grew up to be a winner through hard work.
18.Read the following paragraph carefully and select the best topic sentence from the four possible answers that follow the paragraph.
On a cloudy day the clouds hide the sun, but the sun is always there. The clouds of thoughts, worries and desires cover and hide our happiness. We have to get rid of them in order to experience it. Then the happiness that lies in the soul and is always there will give us warmth. Also, happiness does not depend on circumstances. Objects and events are not its causes. It is dependent only on one thing: the peace in our mind. This means that in order to experience happiness intentionally, we have to make our mind silent, calm and relaxed. This happiness I am talking about is constant and existing for ever. It is our nature; only our thoughts stand in our way of experiencing it. Drive away the thoughts and you are happy.
A. Happiness always gives us warmth.
B. Happiness can be found everywhere.
C. Happiness is not dependent on our mind.
D. Happiness is inside us and is not far away.
IV. 重新组合段落(5 points, 1 point each)
Rearrange the following numbered sentences so that they will read logically. Put the numbers in proper sequence in the boxes provided below.
19. One evening Polson took his son and daughter to dinner at Bananas, a fashionable restaurant.
20. When he brought them their dinners, the professor couldn’t help telling him that he had a good memory.
21.Yet he found himself watching the waiter closely when he returned to take the orders at a nearby table of eight.
22. He just listened, made small talk, told them that his name was John Conrad, and left.
23. The young man was pleased.
24. Again the waiter listened, chatted, and wrote nothing down.
25. When the waiter took their orders, Polson noticed that the young man didn’t write anything down.
26. Polson didn’t think this was exceptional: there were only three of them at the table.
V. 标出与段落内容无关的句子（10 points）
Read the following paragraph and cross out irrelevant sentences.
As a boy, Sanders was much influenced by books about the sea, but in fact by the age of fifteen he had decided to become a doctor rather than a sailor. His father was a dentist and as a result, Sanders had the opportunity of meeting people socially. He was surprised to find that he didn’t hate the sight of blood. When he was fourteen he began to work as an assistant for the local doctor so that he was able to hear the doctor’s conversations with patients. During the war Sanders served in the Navy as a surgeon. After the war he married a nurse in a nearby clinic. “That was the happiest time of my life, doing major surgery. I was dealing with very real suffering and saving the soldiers from pains.” He saw himself as a life-saver. This gave the young man plenty of opportunity to go on working as a life-saver. In Rhodes where he worked under an old doctor, he taught the country people simple facts about medicine. He found that those people lived simply and possessed qualities and a secret of living which he lacked. Thus, while teaching them what to do, he could feel he was serving them.
VI. 写信（35 points）
Supposing one of your foreign teachers is going to visit some places around your hometown. You (Wang Ming) are going to write a letter to him/her. In your letter, make sure to provide some necessary information about some places of interest and some good restaurants he/she may go to. Remember to tell him/her how to get there. (150-200 words)www.59wj.com 如果觉得《2007年1月全国自考《英语写作基础》考试试题》公共课历年真题,zikao不错，可以推荐给好友哦。