Almost no one in China can have failed to notice the fact that a number of students pay little attention to the study of Chinese nowadays. Taking a look around, one can find examples too many to list: some refuse to go to Chinese classes, some read few Chinese classics and some rarely write in Chinese.
A number of factors can account for such phenomenon, but the following might be the critical ones. For one thing, the craze for learning English affect, to some degree, students’ passion for the study of their native language. For another, the increasing emphasis on some so-called “practical subjects” closely related to the pursuit for jobs also cut into students’ time and energy spent on the study of Chinese.
The problem mentioned above is bound to generate severe consequences if we keep turning a blind eye to it. First, students’ weakness in Chinese would lead to their ignorance of Chinese culture. Secondly, their problems with Chinese would also hinder the study of other subjects.
In view of the seriousness of the problem, effective measures must be taken before things get worse. In the first place, it is essential that the school attach more importance to the teaching of Chinese. In the second place, students should enhance their awareness of the importance of mastering their mother tongue. Only with these measures taken can we expect the all-sided development of students.
1. D Relieved
2. B she could go as far as she wanted in life
3. B The power of role model
4. D Obama’s success impacted blacks’ performance in language tests
5. A The change in bias against blacks is slow in coming
6. C people are now less ready to support policies addressing racial inequality
7. C racial inequality still persists in American society
8. our views of women
9. political sentiment
11. A) The man failed to keep his promise.
12. C) The woman should spend more time outdoors.
13. D) It is not a good idea to buy the T-shirt.
14. B) Most readers do not share his viewpoints.
15. A) Leave Daisy alone for the time being.
16. A) Batteries.
17. D) The man can get the ticket at its original price.
18. A) The speakers will dress formally for the concert.
19. D) He is undecided as to which job to go for.
20. C) They are all adults.
21. B) Varied and interesting.
22. C) Hosting a television show.
23. A) He lost his mother.
24. B) He got seriously into acting.
25. B) He has long been a legendary figure.
26 C) It crashed when it was circling to land.
27 A) He was kidnapped eight months ago.
28 A) The management and union representatives reached an agreement.
29 B) rainy
30 C) Very few of them knew much about geology.
31 B) By noting where the most severe earthquake in U.S. history occurred.
32 C) Stop him when he had difficulty understanding.
33 D) It is a tool of communication among speakers of different languages.
34 D) It has supporters from many countries in the world.
35 D) It has had greater impact than in any other country.
44. research shows that communicating with others promotes health, whereas social isolation is linked to stress, disease, and early death.
45. A group of researchers reviewed scores of studies that traced the relationship between health and interaction with others.
46. loneliness harms the immune system, making us more vulnerable to a range of miner and major illnesses.
47. grades above 94%
48. select the method of grading
50. effort and accomplishment
51. discuss his concerns
52. A America is now the only developed country without the policy
53. D The opposition from business circles
54. B Good parenting benefits society
55. B They fail to provide enough support for parents
56. D It is basically a social undertaking
57. A More young voters are going to the polls than before
58. C Whether young people will continue to support Obama’s policy
59. D Their lives in relation to Obama’s presidency
60. C Their utilization of the Internet
61. D They are indifferent to politics
完形填空 (北京新东方学校 冯莉)
82.Their only son has never attempted
83. weigh the possible result of your decision/think over the consequence that your decision might generate
84. would he break/go agaisnt his promise to return the money
85.(should)not be addicted to computer games
86. never considered working as a promoter/never thought of taking the job of a promoter